What is the Regional Assessment Service

What is the Regional Assessment Service?

The Regional Assessment Service is for people 65 years and over or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

The Regional Assessment Service (RAS) is a face to face Assessment undertaken by a trained Home Support Assessor to work out your aged care service needs and to refer you to appropriate Commonwealth Home Support Programme services.

The Regional Assessment Service (RAS) is for older people who have low level needs. This means that they can remain in their home, but need some assistance with daily activities such as house cleaning or shopping.

To work out if you need a RAS Assessment, you will need to contact the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422.  They will speak with you about your needs and determine whether you are eligible for a RAS Assessment.

My Aged Care is the new way to access aged care information and services for older people who are new to the aged care system. It is a central contact point for older people, their families and carers, to find out about local aged care services and to determine support needs.

By speaking with the My Aged Care Contact Centre, you will undergo a screening to determine your aged care needs. Part of this screening will be to determine whether you require the Regional Assessment Service.

Community Options is a registered RAS organisation.

If you require the RAS and Community Options is assigned to conduct your Home Support Assessment, one of our friendly and helpful Home Support Assessors will contact you to arrange a date and a time to conduct the Home Support Assessment.

During the Home Support Assessment, we will work with you to develop a support plan that reflects your aged care needs, goals and preferences. The support plan forms part of your My Aged Care client record which can be viewed online via the My Aged Care client portal.

Find out more about Home Support Assessments by clicking here.

The outcome of your Home Support Assessment may include referral to Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) entry level assistance and support services, such as transport, social support, domestic assistance, personal care, home maintenance, meals, home modification, nursing care and flexible respite services to help you remain living independently at home.


Learn More

To find out more information on My Aged Care, click here.

To learn about the RAS Home Support Assessment, click here.

For more information on CHSP services, go to Community Options’ Commonwealth Home Support Programme services page,  Click here.