My Aged Care

My Aged Care

For people 65 years and over or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

My Aged Care is the new way to access aged care information and aged care services.

It is an Australia-wide central contact point for older people, their families and carers to find out about local aged care services and to determine their aged care support needs.

If you wish to receive aged care services for the first time, it will need to be worked out what supports you can receive under the new My Aged Care system.

To work out what aged care services you (or someone you care for or support) require, you will need to call the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422 between 8am and 8pm on weekdays and between 10am and 2pm on Saturdays.  Or you can access My Aged Care information on the website:


When you contact the My Aged Care Contact Centre the process is as follows:

  1.  You will be given an Aged Care number (AC number) which will identify you in the My Aged Care system
  2. You will go through a screening process to work out your aged care needs
  3. If you have low level needs (entry-level needs) you will be referred to the Regional Assessment Service for a Home Support Assessment to be referred to appropriate aged care support services
  4. If you have high level needs you will be referred to a Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) Assessment (Comprehensive Assessment) and they will assess you to work out the appropriate aged care services you need
  5. If your needs are urgent, you may be referred directly to a support service provider


The diagram below simply illustrates the My Aged Care process:

My Aged Care process diagram

To find out more contact or access My Aged Care via:

  • The website
  • By phoning the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422.
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am - 2pm Saturday.


Are you currently receiving aged care support services?

If you are currently receiving aged care services, you do not need to contact My Aged Care unless your aged care needs change or if you want to receive different or more services.

If this is the case, then you are to contact My Aged Care to receive a referral to the RAS or an Aged Care Assessment Team to assess your changed/new needs.


How much will My Aged Care cost?

The Australian Government will pay the majority of the cost of the services you receive for aged care support.

But as with all aged care services, you will be required to contribute to the cost of your care (if you can afford to do so).